Good Morning! :) Purification weekend officially began yesterday and as a result I took advantage of it and slept quite a long time last night. The book told us yesterday to Create Your Own Wellness Retreat, where we should pamper ourselves, rest our mind and body.
The point of Purification is to notice changes in our body, sleep, relax, give our systems a rest. Thus, because our digestive system uses so much energy just to break down food in the body, during Purification, we drink lots of water and eat only fruits and vegetables.
Suggestions also included watching a good movie, journaling, laughing, or lying on the couch. Kind of cool being told to do nothing-- and while all morning I was contemplating going out and seeing more friends, by 8pm I was just so exhausted I went right to bed. I set my alarm for 3 hours to see if I'd have energy then to head out, but went back to sleep and woke up at 9am this morning.
I didn't get nearly enough sleep the night before last and as a result yesterday morning I was pretty dehydrated and tired. It was nearly-falling- asleep-on-the-refrigerator-door, tired. My internship in the city on Friday was amazingly awesome but waking up at 5am and not getting back until 8pm, then going out pretty soon after and not going to bed until 4am will definitely make you exhausted and do that to you. (Sound familiar, fellow college kids?) (And no alcohol when I went out mind you-- I pumped iced water w/ lime at the bar).
I also want to let you in on how I've been feeling. I feel great! I have lots of energy, have lost 3 more pounds, and I've noticed my leg muscles feel stronger for some reason. I just feel alive and much more clear-minded, focused. There's more of a fluidity in my movements and a calmness overall, I really feel like I'm not jumping around all the time thinking of one thing to the next. I have noticed my hair is much thicker, I'm not quite sure if this is normal as it's only Day 11 technically of me adding all of these nutrients to my days, but it's pretty cool! My skin has cleared up from a couple days ago. I still have low energy in the afternoons especially, but I'm willing to bet that has to do with sleep.
Here's what we can't eat on Purification (which includes the same things we can't eat on CC):
- avocados (considered a healthy fat)
- nuts, nut milks
- animal protein, vegetable protein
Other guidelines during Purification:
- only 2 tbs of oil per day
- rest rest rest!
- keep vegetable to fruit ratio at 3:1
- eat whenever you're hungry, feel free to graze
Anyways, here's a rundown of my day yesterday:
- 1 quart warm lemon water
- 1/2 date roll (approx 2 dates) covered in unsweetened coconut while I prepped my smoothie
- three slices of cucumber (with a pinch of olive oil, sea salt, black pepper, crushed red pepper)
- Green smoothie: kale, 1/2 cucumber, lemon juice, 2 apples, water (the ratio is off here, but I didn't read over that part until later at night)
Snack (about 2 hours later)
- two carrot sticks
- 5 green frozen grapes
- 1 lightly steamed beet
- green smoothie (kale, cucumber, one apple, lemon juice, water)
- four olives
- lightly steamed cauliflower, kale, brussels sprouts with sea salt, black pepper, herbs, and some roasted garlic with 1/2 tsp of olive oil
- handful frozen grapes
- warm lemon water before bed (at 8pm)
Stay tuned for tonight's post. And have a wonderful lazy Sunday everyone :) !!
xoxox bon appétit et bonne santé,