Good morning everyone! I've been feeling really emotional lately. I woke up this morning at 5:30am (because we have to get up to move my sister into her dorm) and as I walked over to get my warm lemon water I was in such despair. I do not want the water!!! I got it though, but I confess I only made it to 3 cups, I couldn't drink the last one. I needed food. I made myself a green juice (mixed greens, lemon juice, an apple, some carrot) and got even more sad, and also felt like I could get sick because it felt like all I had inside of me was water and greens-- which is probably accurate. Our new puppy was in her cage in the other room crying for attention and as I was sitting in my kitchen I started crying and pitying myself-- ridiculous. It was a mixture of crying and laughing and when I put the green juice down I walked upstairs and my mom and sister were laughing saying they should take a video. My friends at school know I get pretty loopy when I don't sleep enough, but the mixture of that plus being low on food, and detoxing, was pretty ridiculous. Anyways, I got myself to drink a smoothie, which usually sustains me instantly. That banana almond butter one, I poured it into my glass, and half of it spilled all over the counter. I felt like Reese Witherspoon in Legally Blonde when she's crying over Warner dumping her, it was ridiculous but also a little humorous. I re-made the smoothie and now I'm out of almond milk, what can you do?
I feel much better now after my smoothie, so yay for that. The first few days were pretty smooth sailing, and now I'm getting the effects of withdrawal in a different way. Anyways, as I sit here and write about the changes I can see how I've come a long way already.
Here are changes I've noticed already, as it is Day 5:
- Skin is a bit brighter
- Chronic dry mouth completely gone-- who would've guessed right? With all that darn water? I will say it's nice not waking up and feeling like I need to guzzle a gallon of water-- now I wake up dreading that I have to drink a quart
- lost 2.5 pounds
- No more headaches
- Pretty cheery-- well, when I'm not starving between meals or when it's not morning
- More energy for the most part, but then tend to slump in afternoon
- No nausea if I don't eat between meals, which is a good thing and bad thing. Good: because it means my blood sugar levels are evening out and I've eliminated a lot of the toxins in my system. Bad: because I forget to eat now and then realize at 10pm that I haven't eaten since 2pm and eat just before bed to get nutrients in. By that point I'm also too tired to cook, get discouraged because mostly everything on the cleanse that is sustaining you need to cook or prepare, and then I really crave a quick fix like cheese. I've been good though, I haven't had any non-cleanse items during my low points (or high points)
What did I eat yesterday?
Day 4 Transition: No Dairy, Eggs, Soy
- 1 quart Lemon/ginger water
- 1 small green smoothie: mixed greens, flax, chia, lemon, apple, carrot
- mid morning: almond butter banana smoothie
- (around 1pm)
- small arugula salad with grilled brussels, kalamata olives, balsamic vinegar, two dried figs
- Nutty Nutrishus Protein Ball
After we got back from running errands, at 10pm, as my mom made a delicious looking three cheese grilled cheese on sourdough I prepared a veggie soup. Here's that image for you:
- half a bowl of veggie soup with brown rice. I think since I combined beans and brown rice this was against food-pairing rules, so oops.
- I added too much cayenne though so the spice caused me to not want anymore
- Then I made some brown rice pasta with olive oil and basil, pinch sea salt. Ate a cup of that and then went to bed wallowing in my self-pity. Ridiculous I know.
Today's Transition Challenge is "Eliminate Gluten". I'm already off that because I'm intolerant, so wahoo another hurdle I've already jumped, that I can smile about! :) We'll see if the rest of this sadness dissipates, and how I can manage living on the cleanse when school starts next week-- I better be prepared! Until then, I'll continue playing Bon Iver and snuggling with our new puppy; they get me.
Lots of love,