After looking through The Conscious Cleanse recipes, I was inspired to create my own recipe based on their Almond Butter Ball recipe. Here I played around with different superfood nutrients and came up with a new recipe based on what I had on hand. I must say I love the result and my family members do too. My sister Kate's response: "Do you have to cook these?" Me: "No, they're raw" She eats them... Kate: "Wait a second, these are actually really good!" My brother Ryan, seeing her reaction, took a bite of it, and said "they're awful" with a smirk. Immediately after he smiled and took two with him to the family room to eat. Typical brother! Glad he likes them even if he won't admit it.
Nutty Nutrishus Protein Balls
- 2 cups mixed nuts
- My mix of choice: I combined 1 bag of "Go Raw" trek mix from Trader Joe's (which is walnuts, almonds, raisins, hazelnuts) with 1/2 bag pumpkin seeds, and 1 bag organic walnuts. Then from my mixture I scooped up 2 cups worth and used it in this recipe. Be creative and use what you'd like.
- 1 tsp ground, golden roasted flaxseed ( I used the blueberry flax from TJ's)
- 2/3 teaspoon honey
- 1 tbs coconut oil (organic, unrefined, extra-virgin)
- 3 twists freshly ground sea salt
In a food processor, or if you're determined like me your Nutribullet, add nuts, ground flaxseed, and sea salt. Pulse until combined well and finely ground. Some of it will be butter consistency, the rest will be more of a nut "meal" consistency. Remove pulverized nuts/nut butter mixture and combine with honey and coconut oil with your hands. Add mixture back into food processor briefly to evenly combine. Remove from processor and form into 2 inch balls. Place in tupperware container and keep in refrigerator or freezer for easy snacking.
What nutrients do you get out of these ingredients?
- coconut oil= great for brain, skin, hair, antioxidant effect on body, prevention of parkinsons, reduces bad cholesterol, improved heart health, increased metabolism and energy, boosts your thyroid, supports immune system.
- sea salt= power packed with nutrients and helps regulate blood sugar levels, contain 84 essential minerals regulated by human body, 85% sodium chloride, 15% minerals, magnesium, promotes healthy pH levels, helps regulate body's natural sleep cycle
- nuts= protein, essential oils, neuro-protective, vitamin E, potassium, selenium, phytonutrients, anti-inflammatory benefits, omega 3 fatty acids, anti-cancer benefits, decrease cholesterol