Well, it is officially the 10th day of my no-sugar challenge. In light of exams, stress, etc. I felt that I deserved a day where I could eat a couple of sweet treats. Kristen Wiig of SNL gives herself a day every week where she can eat whatever she wants, and she finds that the more she has done that, the less likely she has wanted to splurge. I think this is a healthy way to be. While this no-sugar challenge is important because it has let me realize how much sugar I regularly consume in comparison with how much I should actually consume, it in no way means that I can't "live a little" sometimes. Just as Sarah Wilson, the creator of the 8 week no sugar challenge says that we should not "demonize fruit" just because it has fructose, I believe that we should not demonize sweet treats when we learn that we can live without them for the most part. I do, however, believe that it is necessary to cut it out completely in challenges like these to see how it feels and to get back to your normal balance. All in all, today I participated in that 1 day a week EWIW as I'll call it, aka "Eat Whatever I Want" theory.
I did today, and honestly, eating sugar again its not as great as I thought! Here are some things I've learned today:
- Thanks to the challenge, unlike before, I can have just one bite and feel satisfied.
- While it tastes sweet going down, I don't really like the feeling I get after I eat sugar.
- I've realized that before I must have been mal-nourished in certain food categories, because I was saving calories/room for dessert. Now, I focus on being full from good food, and don't get hungry for sugar after.
- Today, after I ate lunch, and allowed myself some caramels, I didn't crave anymore. In fact, I actually wanted to get rid of the sugary feeling, so I drank a glass of milk with cinnamon to try and balance my blood sugar (crazy, but I like to think it helped somewhat) Also, after my small dinner on-the-go I had a serving of ice cream... but felt the need to then eat almonds to balance the carbs with protein.
I guess sometimes you can have your cake, but you don't want it too! (lame) haha.
Here's the rundown of my day:
- Green Tea Pomegranate Tea-- (no sugar)
- Greek Yogurt
- Minestrone Vegetable Soup
- 2 Portugese rolls (literally the ingredients are just whole wheat flour, water, yeast, and salt) with butter
- iced coffee with cream
- 2 mini dark chocolate caramels (see I told you!)
- cup of whole milk with cinnamon
"Dinner"-on the go:
- coconut water
- Odwalla Nourishing food bar
- WBC local ice cream (1 serving)
After dinner snack: