A FEW FAVORITE THINGS
I believe you can and should have fun as you journey through a healthy lifestyle. Here are a few of my favorite food places, brands, and goodies for overall health. So go on... dig in... (and check back regularly as this is constantly being updated throughout my food journeys!)
SHOPS and RESTAURANTS
- Sweet Green Georgetown, DC amazingly tender lettuce, fresh and local produce, yummy frozen yogurt and unique iced herbal drinks
- Pizza Paradiso Georgetown, DC best gluten free pizza I've ever had
- Good Stuff Eatery Washington, DC yummy milkshakes and burgers
- The Sweet Lobby Washington, DC delish cupcakes
- Baked and Wired Washington, DC delish and huge gluten free cupcakes! Plus coffee..if you're in the mood
- We The Pizza Capitol Hill-- amazingly delicious pizza (back when I ate gluten)
- Ted's Bulletin Washington, DC-- homemade pop tarts and a peanut butter bacon burger please!
- Dixie Bones Woodbridge, VA-- BBQ and banana cream pie are on point
- Pig N' Steak Madison, VA-- fried pickles, pulled pork barbeque sandwiches... southern cooking done right, a camp favorite
- Mike's American Grill and all the GAR group restaurants (Sweet Watern Tavern, Coastal Flats, Ozzy's, etc)-- delicious everything. Love their salads and lobster bisque
- Fresh&Co New York City, NY the most lovely salads, similar to Sweet Green, but they chop for you
- Beauty and Essex Get the veal tagliatelle with whipped ricotta, you will drool!
- Blue Bottle Coffee Co. the absolute best cappuccino I've ever had (and they make cafe art w/ the foam)
- Le Pain Quotidien French/Belgian style organic cuisine-- they sell speculoos and authentic french beignets for when you are feeling sentimental
- Clarke's Standard really good hot dogs and shakes
- Baked By Melissa adorable mini cupcakes for when you just want a bite of sweetness!
- Spring Street Natural-- delicious kale salad with apricots, hazelnuts, amaze.
- Balzam-- yummy soups!
- Dominique Ansel Bakery: the home of the Cronut! This guy knows his food, and he doesn't sacrifice quality for quantity!
- River Styx--if you're looking for a heavenly sticky bun and killer nachos as the perfect brunch, lovely atmosphere!
- Five Leaves-- so you want a kickass breakfast? or lunch? or Dinner? or coffee to go... with hipsters? go here.
- Allswell-- best fries I've had since I was in Belgium... no joke.
- Pies N' Thighs-- gourmet fried chicken and buckwheat waffles...and killer donuts
- Fabbrica Restaurant and Bar: fun fact, I used to work here! Amazing from-scratch hand-rolled pasta-- My fave? Pici al Limone
- Woodside Farms Creamery Kennett, PA delicious homemade ice cream
- SIW Vegetables Chadds Ford, PA farm stand, awesome fresh corn and lettuce, heirloom tomatoes
- Harvest Glen Mills, PA local/organic upscale restaurant-- pricy-but-delicious, ever-changing menu
- Cuba Libre Philadelphia, PA fun Cuban atmosphere, delicious, unique food. try the plaintain chips and mango salsa!
- HomeGrown Cafe Newark, DE fun, upbeat restaurant serving local cuisine, wide variety
- Kid Shelleen's they give you unlimited homemade cinnamon buns instead of rolls for brunch!
- The Stand Fairfield, CT: great sandwiches, juices
- Sugar and Olive's Norwalk, CT
- Isabelle et Vincent Fairfield, CT amazing french bakery complete with quiche, macarons, beignets, homemade chocolates
- Trader Joe's
- Whole Foods
- The Fresh Market
- Natural by Nature (top-rated organic dairy) http://www.cornucopia.org/dairysurvey/FarmID_100.html
- Cowgirl Creamery- delicious creme fraiche!
- Stoneyfield Farms- yogurt, great philosophy and quality brand
- Siggi's- yummy Icelandic style yogurt
- Noosa-- honey flavor is so delish... creamy Australian style yoghurt
Use this when shopping for dairy:
http://www.cornucopia.org/dairysurvey/index.html Complete Dairy Index- the Top Rated Organic Milk Brands REAL Organic, not factory!
- MarysGoneCrackers- vegan, gluten-free, organic, delicious crackers
- Amy's Organic- awesome soups
- Two Moms in the Raw- delicious gluten-free bars, granola
- Purely Elizabeth- granola
- KIND bars- (gluten free nut bars with only 7g sugar!) my favorites are dark chocolate sea salt, peanut butter dark chocolate
- That's It-- two-ingredient dried fruit bars with lots of flavor and not lots of sugar
- Applegate Farms (meats)- delicious turkey, etc- hormone free, antibiotic free, humanely raised
- Local! (as in, go to a local butcher's shop or farmer's market...because it's better for you!)
Chocolate: (yes it deserves its own category)
- Lake Champlain Chocolates (my favorite chocolate of all time), noteworthy: Rum Dark Chocolate bar, Milk Chocolate Caramel
- Green and Black's- really yummy organic sweet treats-- high cacao milk chocolate almond bar is a fave
- LiLac Chocolates
- La Maison du Chocolat get the orange slices- best I've ever had
- Mast Brothers (if you're into dark)
- Justin's- delicious almond butter cups
FOR YOUR BODY
- Kiehl's-- the BEST moisturizers, face creams, colored hair shampoo/conditioner
- Jafra- Royal Jelly Milk Balm (for the face)
- La Roche Possay (facial cleanser), smells heavenly, very mild on skin, works wonders
- Zuzu Luxe/Gabriel Cosmetics- non-toxic, gluten-free makeup; great lipstick colors
- Butter London nail polish
- Julep nail polish and freedom top coat
- Tarte makeup--great pressed powder foundation and eyeliner
- Pixi makeup-- best mascara and tinted lipbalm
- Homemade scrub: raw honey + brown sugar. Nothing beats natural!